Sunday, June 11, 2017

Eyes by Veronique Poirier

I had some gardening to do today, so I chose a novella for this morning's read. Eyes, the debut by Veronique Poirier and the first book in her The Irises series. Having read a ton of Paranormal Romance, I thought I had seen it all. I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong with this one!

My Rating: 4 out 5 stars
Eyes is written in first person, multi POV with the bulk of the tale told from the perspective of the two main characters, Alec and Natacha. It fits very nicely into the Paranormal Romance genre and is quite original with a premise I haven't seen before. There are some steamy moments and situations, so it is 18+.


The Irises are a group of people whose eyes change color according to their emotions. They also possess some rather interesting powers of mental telepathy, but there's more to it than that. As this is a novella, too much information here would certainly contain spoilers, so you'll have to read it to find out more. 

The story is fast-paced and held my interest throughout. It's only a little over an hour's read time, so it's perfect for a quick lunchtime or afternoon read. The characters are interesting and with the first person POV, we get a lot of their inner dialogue, which was an added bonus, especially considering the powers that our characters possess. (Again, not too many details!).

To sum it up, we have a group of Irises who work to save other Irises, a girl who doesn't even know she is an Iris, much less how much power she actually has, and some creepy bad guys. Mix all that with a romance between the main characters, Alec and Natacha, a race to save some people that are important to our heroine, twists that I certainly didn't see coming, betrayal where you least expect it, and a mind-blowing ending. Now, you have not only what is a solid debut from this author, but what promises to be the start of an intriguing series. 

The only drawback for me is that I wish there were more of it. I would've liked to have seen a bit more of the group of Irises helping Natacha and more of the couple's romance growing. Other than that, I can find no fault with this one and I only have one question for Poirier - where is book two??? I need to see what happens next! 😀

Eyes is available at Amazon, here. If you're like me always on the hunt for something different in the Paranormal Romance genre, you don't want to miss this one!

Here's that link again for your convenience. 


Thanks for joining me!

Momma😘


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pursuit of Innocence by Bethany Rosa Virtual Book Tour

What are four things you can’t live without? The Kindle app on my phone. My Tesla. It's not to save the world, folks; I just like to go ...