Sunday, June 4, 2017

Night Conjurings: Tales of Terror by Harvey Click

I went with something a bit different for my Sunday read. I dived headfirst into Harvey Click's Night Conjurings.

My Rating: 3 out 5 stars
The book is a collection of short stories, all focusing on the Horror genre. There are 12 selections in the collection and they cover a wide variety in topic. The book is well-written and while I wouldn't necessarily say that I found any of the stories particularly scary, there were some rather creepy moments.



I love a good horror story and will often read them in broad daylight so I don't scare myself too much in the wee hours of the night. Yes, I'm a big chicken! I own it. I was unfamiliar with this author, so I decided rather than risk it, I'd dive into this one for my Sunday, daylight hours read. I needn't have worried about being too frightened. While the stories are creepy, especially with their almost Twilight Zone twists at the end, I wasn't particularly scared.

I found some stories to be more to my liking than others, but that's okay. I rarely find a collection that I can honestly say every story was a hit. That's the beauty of a collection, if you don't feel that particular story, you can easily move on to the next.

The biggest drawback for me was that some of these tales were a bit juvenile in the telling. Now, don't get me wrong, there were a couple of stories where the main characters were children and juvenile behavior is expected from kids, right? But - yes, there's a but - the language used throughout and the almost obsessive reference to penises in several stories became a bit tedious and had the feel of something that would come from a teenager. The themes and stories are in no way meant for kids, so it was a bit off-putting.

As stated, I did enjoy some of the stories and Click has certainly mastered the art of the creepy twist in a tale, so the book is worth checking out, if you enjoy the genre. I just would've enjoyed a good scare and was a bit disappointed in that respect. That's just my 2 cents worth, one person's creepy is another person's terrified.

The book is available in ebook and paperback format at Amazon and paperback through Barnes & Noble - links included if you'd like to take a look.

Amazon US

Barnes & Noble

Thanks for joining me!

Momma😘

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Darkest Light by Vicki-Ann Bush Virtual Book Tour

  Did you have a minor character who insisted on playing a larger role in the story. If so, please tell us about it. This is a funny questio...