Monday, January 28, 2019

✱✱Book Review✱✱ What Doesn't Kill Her by Christina Dodd


What Doesn't Kill Her 
Cape Charade Book 2
by Christina Dodd 


One secret, one nightmare, one lie. You guess which is which.
1. I have the scar of a gunshot on my forehead.
2. I have willfully misrepresented my identity to the US military.
3. I'm the new mother of a seven-year-old girl.
 
Kellen Adams suffers from a yearlong gap in her memory. A bullet to the brain will cause that. But she's discovering the truth, and what she learns changes her life, her confidence, her very self. She finds herself in the wilderness, on the run, unprepared, her enemies unknown--and she is carrying a priceless burden she must protect at all costs. The consequences of failure would break her. And Kellen Adams does not break.
 
What doesn't kill her...had better start running.

New York Times Bestseller Christina Dodd continues her Cape Charade suspense series with WHAT DOESN'T KILL HER, the second full-length thriller, a tale filled with humor, pathos ... and a healthy dollop of terror.





Momma Says: 1 star⭐

The blurb for this one sounds exciting and certainly caught my interest. Full disclosure - I read the first book in this series and had less than stellar feelings about it. Nevertheless, I gave this second book a try, and quickly found that my initial reactions hadn't changed. At its core, this could be a truly gripping story, but it just goes way too far, and too many things border on the ridiculous. And I still don't understand the way characters are introduced. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a result of Kellen's coma or the fact that she's former military, but giving what is essentially a list of vital statistics with each new character only served to be an irritation. Then we have dialogue that seems like so much filler rather than leading to anything important, abrupt point of view changes, and a rather disappointing reveal of Kellen's memories, especially after so much build up. This book has received some rave reviews, and I realize that I'm in the minority here, but it is what it is. Whether it's the over the top story or the writing style, this series is clearly not for me. 

❃❃ARC provided by NetGalley and HARLEQUIN - Romance


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Heart Knows What The Mind Cannot See Blitz

  Self Help, Spiritual Inspiration Date Published: 06-02-2021   This is a thought-provoking and enlightening exploration of sp...